I finally got a chance to watch the Browns game again. A couple of things stuck out, both good and bad.
Things that I liked:
· Speed, Speed, Speed. The Fins defense is really fast. It is not just the “speed rush” that was talked about all week, but the linebackers can fly.
· Defessnisive Coordinator Kevin Coyle loves to dial up pressure. From all angels. It kept Weedon running for his life and it should keep teams guessing all year.
· The turnover battle, Coach Philbin stressed winning the turnover battle all off-season. The Dolphins were +2 against the Browns
· Brandon Gibson is a 3rd down machine. It is quickly apparent why the Dolphins wanted him in free agency. Though Gibson did drop 2 balls, Tannehill is already building a trust with him, especially on 3rd down.
· Brandon Fields is a weapon!
· Tannehill led the team on a 10 play, 85-yard drive when the Dolphins needed to put the game away. He went 6 for 7 on the drive, for 78 yards. It ate up 5:06 seconds, and left the Browns down 10 points with only 6:48 left on the game clock. This is exactly what a franchise QB does.
Things I did not like:
· The offensive line. It was difficult to pick who had the worse game. Tyson Clabo did his best Marc Colombo impersonation. John Jerry whiffed on some pass rushers, and got bull rushed into Tannehill, more than once. Jonathin Martin gave up a sack. Charles Clay desperately needs to improve. The entire line play needs to improve and fast.
· Coming out after halftime, receiving the ball and going 3 and out is unacceptable.
· 6 times the Dolphins found themselves with 3rd down and 10 or longer. You will not win too many games putting your offense in that situation.
· Tannehill’s deep ball accuracy is a concern.
· Even with all that speed, the Fins still had problems covering the tight end.
Am I crazy enough to think that Miami can go into Indianapolis and beat the Colts? You bet!
Things to look for against the Colts:
· Colts safety LaRon Landry had 15 tackles last week. He will not be able to play that close to the line against Miami, if he does, look for Wallace to be open deep. If Landry does help out more with Wallace, look for the running game to get going.
· The Colts gave up 4 sacks to the Raiders. Colts owner, Jim Irsay, demanded better protection of his young franchise OB on twitter. Wake, Vernon, and Jordan should be licking their chops to get after Luck. How much they can get to Luck, should be the key to the game.
· I could see Dion Sims playing a bigger role against the Colts.
· Be afraid of Nolan Carroll having to cover Ty Hilton.
I have a feeling the Fins have had this game circled for a while as a measuring stick. They were so close last year to pulling off the upset, this year I think they do it. The Fins go into Lucas Oil Field and make a statement. Prediction: Miami 30 Indy 20. Everyone enjoy the game!
Carl C. Crowley