Immediately after last week’s game against the Falcons, I said to my wife “I don’t know how the Dolphins won that game.” After watching it a second time, it is a little clearer.
Things That I Liked:
· John Jerry providing the second level block that sprung Lamar Miller’s 49 yard run, as forecasted last week: http://www.dolphinstalk.com/2013/09/things-i-liked-things-i-didnt-things-to_21.html
· Dion Jordan playing tough at the point of attack, holding the Falcons to a field goal in the 2nd quarter.
· Finishing strong to end the half.
· Hello Rishard Matthews, coming up with several catches, including 2 clutch grabs on 3rd down.
· Don Jones game changing, fumble causing special teams tackle. He has been flashing all season on special teams, no wonder why he was kept on the final 53-man roster.
· John Denney coming up with that football at the bottom of the pile.
· The final drive. What was not to like, with 4:46 on the clock. Ryan Tannehill led his team on great touchdown winning drive. Converting 3 times on third down, Tannehill went 9/12 for 69 yards.
· Pressure supplied by Dion Jordan that caused interception that sealed the win.
Things I Didn’t Like:
· Olivier Vernon. He looks lost and hesitant and he is consistently handled one on one.
· Vernon’s play begs the question why isn’t Dion Jordan playing more? I thought he outplayed every other DE after Cameron Wake went out.
· Tannehill needs better pocket awareness and is starting to develop a habit of coughing up the football.
· Richie Incognito’s pass blocking was poor to say the least.
· 3 total yards of offense in the 1st quarter.
· Nolan Carroll. It is scary to think he is the third best corner on the team.
· Charles Clay should have caught that ball, he tipped it, enabling it to be intercepted, killing a drive.
· Lamar Miller needs to catch that swing pass. Hit him in the hands. He catches it, he scores.
It is exciting having the Dolphins playing on the national stage, playing another undefeated team. The Saints are considered one of the best teams in the NFL. This matchup gives Miami the opportunity to jump into “contender status.” But it is not going to be easy.
Things To Look For Against The Saints:
· Jimmy Graham scares me. The Dolphins defense has had trouble covering every team’s tight end, and Graham is better than anyone they have faced all season. The key to the game could be controlling Graham and running back Darren Sproles out of the backfield.
· Look for Dion Jordan to keep getting more reps. He commanded several double teams against the Falcons.
· Look for Mike Wallace to have a bounce back performance, he is from New Orleans and should be playing in front of lots of family and friends.
· The front 4 needs to get pressure on Drew Brees, blitzing him too much could leave the Fins open for big plays.
· Lamar Miller needs to get more carries if the Fins are going to win the game.Like I said, it is going to be tough. Playing a great team on the road, in a hostile environment, but I am a homer and I believe the offense wins this one late, Prediction: Miami 31 Saints 30. Everyone enjoy football Sunday and enjoy the Fins on Monday Night!
Carl C. Crowley