It seems like the Dolphins last played a month ago. It was nice to just sit and watch the Bengals game again. As always, I pulled out some nuggets.
Things I Liked:
· Cornerback Brent Grimes’s play. It is hard to believe this guy is only 5’9’’. Sure the 92-yard interception return for a touchdown was huge, but he comes up and sticks people on runs as well. His initial hit on Bengals running back Benjarvus Green-Ellis forced a punt early on and his form tackle in overtime was a thing of beauty. I hope the Fins are thinking about an extension.
· How about Michael Egnew playing fullback! Most Dolfans saw him get castigated by offensive coordinator Mike Sherman on Hard Knocks last year. He easily could have tucked his tail and ran off to mommy and daddy, but instead he worked hard and now is getting credit by Sherman for Miami’s improved running game. He threw some key blocks that helped running back Lamar Miller get his first 100 yard game in the pros.
· Charles Clay bowling over Bengals defensive back Dre’ Kirkpatrick for a 13 yard gain. I wish Daniel Thomas could run that hard.
· Cameron Wake is a beast!
· Jimmy Wilson drilling WR Mohammed Sanu in the open field and Dannell Ellerbe coming up with the interception. (By the way, Karlos Dansby would have never been that far deep down field and never would have made that interception.)
· Caleb Sturgis coming back and drilling a 44 yard field goal to tie the game with 13 seconds on the clock.
· Quarterback Ryan Tannehill really impressed me this week. Not only for his game tying drive going 50 yards in under a minute. He went 20 /28 in the game completing over 70%, but the way he handled all of this media attention. He quickly is asserting himself as the face of the franchise and it is good to see.
This was a difficult week to be a Miami Dolphins fan, but I want to focus on the things I didn’t like about the Bengals game
Things I Didn’t Like:
· Richie Incognito totally whiffed on Geno Atkins giving up an early sack (Didn’t think I was going to go there did ya.)
· Daniel Thomas needs to be benched. He could not pick up 2 yards on 2 carries in overtime. We need to start seeing Mike Gilislee.
· Why didn’t Lamar Miller cut left and take the ball into the end zone?
· All season long I have harped on the Dolphins 3rd down defense for not getting off the field, but it is getting worse, not better. On three separate occasions they Fins defense had 3rd and 10 and they gave up 17 yards, 18 yards and 26 yards. On a 3rd and 8, they gave up 19. On a 3rd and 16 they gave up 21. These plays are back breaking! Defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle needs to do something about this.
· I don’t want to sound like too much of a homer, but how can the same referee call Brian Hartline for offensive pass interference at a critical point in the 3rd quarter, but not call Pac Man Jones for mugging Hartline in overtime? The calls against the Fins (or lack there of for them) have been atrocious the last couple of weeks. (Ok, I sound like a homer.)
The Buccaneers may be winless, but they do have some talent. They played hard against the Seahawks last week in Seattle and almost pulled off the upset.
Things To Look For Against The Buccaneers:
· Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy is considered one of the best run stuffers in the league. How now starting guard Nate Garner plays may go a long way in determining who wins.
· Buccaneers rookie QB Mike Glennon does not turn the ball over. Tannehill needs to protect the ball better than Glennon does in this game if the Fins want to win.
· Tampa Bay rookie running back Mike James was impressive last week against the Seahawks. Dolphins need to bottle him up and put the game on Glennon’s shoulders.
· Tannehill needs to be aware of Darrelle Revis at all times.
· It will be interesting to see how the Dolphins players handle this week and how prepared they really are!
I think the Dolphins team uses this as a rallying cry and comes together as a team. I hope they are pissed and Philbin borrows a line from Coach Bill Yost and “leaves no doubt.” The Dolphins bully the Buccaneers (couldn’t resist) Prediction: Miami 31 Tamp Bay 13. Try to enjoy football Sunday and the game on Monday night.
Carl C. Crowley