Back into my football season routine. I got up early on Saturday morning and re-watched the Dolphins game. There was a lot to like and not like about the Patriots game.
Things I Liked:
- As a Miami Dolphin fan if your ass is not planted on the Chris McCain bandwagon, then I don’t know where you are. Awesome way to start the game!
- Olivier Vernon may have only recorded one sack, but he looked in mid season form – I expect him to have a BIG year.
- Earl Mitchell was all over the field! Great burst, great penetration.
- It seems that you can never say enough good things about Cameron Wake. He gets it He is a team leader. And when you need a big play, he delivers! Wake’s 1st sack may have been the play of the game. It led to the tying touchdown and the Fins rolled from there.
- Branden Albert just manhandled Chandler Jones.
- Nice job rebuilt offensive line!
- Knowshown Moreno’s touchdown run. He made 2 tacklers miss in the backfield, and then bounced off 3 more at the one-yard line.
- Defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. You lose your starting linebackers to injury and still make the half time adjustments to shut down the Pats in the second half. Great Job!
It was a big win Dolfans, but the game showed there is plenty to work on.
Things I Didn’t Like:
- Ryan Tannehill’s play, especially in the 1st half was not good. His inaccuracy led to Wallace ‘s fumble, and I am not sure where he was throwing on that interception. Big year for Ryan, he needs to play better.
- I feel horrible for Dannell Ellerbe. I thought he was going to have a good season for the Fins.
- Something I noticed in preseason and again last Sunday that I am not crazy about. The Jarvis Landry spin move. I am afraid he is either going to turn the ball over or get hurt. Either way – I don’t like it.
- 3 straight possessions, 3 turnovers, unacceptable.
- Last year I harped about the Dolphins defense in 3rd and long situations not being able to get off the field. On Sunday, 3rd and 10 on their own six-yard line, Pats get a first. That led to New England’s 11-play 94-yard drive.
- Misdirection runs hurt the Fins.
- Perfect throw from Tannehill to Dion Sims, he needs to make that catch.
Battle for early control of the AFC East takes place in Orchard Park, NY today. The Buffalo Bills are very talented. When was the last time that was true? All week long we heard the Bills have best defensive line in football. This is going to be tough, but I would rather play them up there in September than December.
Things To Look For Against the Bills:
- The game comes down to the Bills rung backs vs. Fins front 7. I expect to see lots of miss directions, screens and dump offs to the backs. The fins will try to shut that down and force EJ Manuel to beat them with his arm.
- Miami needs to keep an eye on Manuel. He had a rushing touchdown last week and the Fins have been susceptible to the QB draw in the past.
- No way the Bills let rookie right tackle Seantrel Henderson take Cameron Wake 1 on 1. Should open up someone else to have a big game. Maybe OV?
- Ja’Wuan James vs. Mario Williams. Should tell us a lot about the kid.
- I expect Tannehill to surprise some people and run some QB keepers this week.
- Look for Charles Clay to be a lot more involved with the passing game this week.
Like I said, this is going to be tough. The Fins cannot go up there like last year and lay an egg. I know there’s bunches of new faces in Miami, but I hope there’s still a revenge factor about this game. I think the offensive line continues to surprise. I think the defense comes up big and puts it away late. Final Score: Dolphins 31 Bills 17. Everyone enjoy the game!
Carl C. Crowley